Businesses and their customers are facing a new reality due to COVID-19, which has completely turned plans upside down and changed our lifestyle. In-store shopping used to be considered an obvious thing for any shopper, to wander around the store, to touch and feel the products with their bare hands, or to experience the good on the spot. Due to COVID-19 prevention, it is getting harder due to the fear of spreading the virus.
However, in-store shopping is inevitable in the retail business. Even though many brands offer online channels, customers still want to come back in-person. Therefore, in today’s article, we will provide you with some tips for COVID-19 prevention to ensure the safety of your customers who shop in-store
There is a lot to keep up out there. Facts and recommendations have shifted countless times ever since the virus appeared in China. New symptoms, up-to-date statistics, and protective procedures are emerging, which are all crucial for you to stay updated.
Especially with the new strain of COVID-19 appeared in England last month, it is more dangerous and causes serious symptoms compared to the original virus. Hence, retailers have to always be alert and be aware of the latest news to enforce suitable COVID-19 precautions for customers’ safety.
Adopt Strict Precautions
Depending on your industry and situation, the precautions can vary slightly. However, it should generally include the following steps:
- Clean and disinfect touched surfaces frequently and daily
- Ensure hygiene supplies are easily available and stocked
- Enforce social distancing at all times
- Cancel gatherings, including meetings, conferences, or in-person events
- Cancel non-essential travel
- Imply temperature check before customers enter your store
Business owners should make sure they are documenting all of the COVID–19 prevention policies formally and distributing them in-store and online (website, social media page, emails, etc.) Let customers know what to expect when they encounter your staff in-store and what precautions you are taking to keep everybody healthy. They will appreciate the risk mitigation you have conducted for their safety.
Enforce Physical Distancing
Making payment usually requires customers and staff to interact within close proximity. How can you maintain the distance while processing payments? Below are some solutions you should consider:
- Point-of-sale (POS) devices – it offers a fast and secure payment method by using a GPRS or Wi-Fi network connection, which allows you to get paid anywhere. Not only in-store shopping, but these POS devices even give you the flexibility to offer home delivery or curbside pick-up.
- Contactless Payment Acceptance – it operates the same way as other transactions at the POS device, with one key difference. Your customer will simply Tap to Pay for their purchase instead of inserting or swiping their card. This solution limits the need for the customer to touch or hold the POS device and reduces the chance of physical contact between the devices, the staff, and your customers.
ConnectPOS offers high-quality POS systems that have basic to advanced features such as tax rates synchronization, various payment methods, or AI facial recognition to support COVID-19 prevention in your store.
Ensure Regular Devices Cleaning
For in-store transactions, keeping your point-of-sale device clean is an essential measure for COVID-19 prevention. It is generally recommended to both clean and disinfect at the same time.
For cleaning, your device should be gently rubbed with water using a lightly damp microfiber cloth. Your staff should pay attention not to use solvents, detergents, or abrasive cleaners and refrain from vigorously shaking the device, as this could trigger the tamper alert.
After cleaning carefully, disinfecting is the next step. You can use an alcohol-based wipe or cleaner that can be applied to a microfiber cloth. Be sure not to spray, coat, or pour any disinfectants, or liquid in general, directly onto the device.
In regards to COVID-19 prevention, there is a lot to take in and to think about. However, if you try to focus on these four components, your customers, your employees, and the community will appreciate your effort in taking precautions seriously during this unprecedented time.
After this article, we hope you will know what to do to protect your customers who do in-store shopping. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions!
ConnectPOS is the retail pos system in the ecosystem. ConnectPOS gladly presents a comprehensive training guide ebook tailor-made for cashiers in the retail business.