Halloween, an old Celtic holiday, has grown in prominence as one of the most important cultural and commercial events in the United States and the United Kingdom. The popularity of Halloween rituals such as dressing up, trick-or-treating, and carving pumpkins has resulted in significant consumer spending. In this article, we will give you an overview of Halloween statistics so you can use them to plan your own business in the next busy months.
General Halloween Statistics
How are people expecting Halloween?
According to a recent Hershey consumer study, Americans of all ages will be more enthusiastic about Halloween in 2021. To be more detailed, with the people between the ages of 18-34 and parents with children under the age of 18:
- 66% intend to do more for Halloween this year than in previous years.
- 59% have already begun planning Halloween events.
Customers are more excited, which means shops have a better chance.
How will they celebrate Halloween?
In 2020, the COVID-19 virus had undoubtedly put a damper on Halloween celebrations. Unfortunately, the epidemic is scarier than ghosts, goblins, and ghouls, prompting customers to hunt for safe methods to celebrate Halloween in 2020.
This year, stay-at-home activities like home decorating and pumpkin carving are still popular. But handing out candy is still the most popular holiday activity, with 62 percent of celebrants expected to service the 23% of children who want to go trick-or-treating.
Halloween Buying Habits
Instead of buying Halloween treats, the costume is always the most hunted product that buyers will spend money on this holiday.
- For children: Dressing up as a beloved character has become a Halloween tradition for kids. Tiaras, gowns, and glass slippers are easily spotted when trick-or-treating, as princesses remain the most popular form of costume, with Spider-Man, a superhero, ghosts, and Batman filling out the top five. Costumes for children range from $25 to $40, without including additional props, makeup, and a candy bag.
- For adults: Top five adult costumes are rather timeless: witch, vampire, cat, Batman, and ghost. Costumes typically cost $30 to $60, but they can cost hundreds of dollars for the most dedicated celebrants.
- For pets in the home: The most popular pet costumes are primarily foods or living creatures, which are pumpkin, hot dog, superhero, cat, and bumblebee are among the top five.
Halloween statistics show that consumers in the United States spent $8.78 billion in 2019 and $9 billion in 2018.
In 2020, as the holiday's commercialization grows, it will be one of the most expensive holidays in both the United States and the United Kingdom, with over $8.05 billion spent on Halloween props, food, and clothes in the United States and about £500 million spent in the United Kingdom.
Halloween Customer Experience
Where do buyers get Halloween ideas?
The shopping season begins sooner and earlier each year, as it does for any significant holiday. While most people like to go through magazines to get ideas for their Halloween celebrations, some look for inspiration elsewhere. According to the National Retail Federation, here are some of the places where buyers gather Halloween inspiration for decorating their homes or cooking holiday-appropriate foods:
- 35% get decorating ideas from the Internet,
- 23% find inspiration from retail outlets,
- 18% get home decor ideas from friends or family.
Where are buyers purchasing their Halloween supplies?
Home improvement and decor retailers continue to see increases year after year, distinguishing where people shop for Halloween purchases.
Consumers in the United Kingdom, on the other hand, went online during the pandemic. And major traditional businesses opened online stores. According to Retail Gazette, Halloween drove the internet proportion of spending to over 30%.
Halloween shopping online
Online shopping's convenience and inexpensive pricing have resulted in a considerable surge in Halloween sales. It works particularly for children's and pet costumes. Adult costumes are more likely to be purchased at stores, which is due to trying on the goods before committing to a purchase. Large home decor pieces have not seen as much of a rise in online consumers, probably due to shipping constraints.
With the increasing online shopping trends and the current epidemic situation, applying POS to improve sales is essential for retailers. ConnectPOS is a practical management application that links all data of offline and online stores. When a new order is submitted, shopkeepers will get a notification on their smartphone or tablet. It helps to keep track of all facilities' requests no matter what. Moreover, it can design a consumer experience that is simple, comfortable, and secure enough to prevent disease spread.
Although people worldwide still have to cope with COVID-19, some Halloween statistics show that this festive season will be highly bustling. Therefore, every store owner should install ConnectPOS to fully prepare for this online shopping season. Then don't hesitate to contact us immediately for more information!